Relationships and the law
There are few legal barriers or issues to overcome at the start of most relationships. You meet someone, start a relationship and carry on as you wish.
However when a relationship ends there can be many issues to resolve, For example:
- Who keeps the family home?
- Where will the children live?
- Who will make decisions for them?
- Do we have to divide superannuation?
- What’s a fair split?
- When can we get divorced?
- What happens if I form a new relationship?
Family Law provides the answer to these and many more questions. And that’s where we come in. At Bell Legal Group our experienced Family Law team can find the legal solution to your family law problem.
Your case is unique to you and your family. So the way forward should be equally unique.
Sources of Family Law in Australia
Relationship law in Australia comes from the State governments and from the Australian (or Commonwealth) government.
Law is made up of two primary sources.
- Legislation – the laws passed by parliament; and
- Case law – principles stemming from the decisions of judges across the court system. These are precedents that may be followed by other courts.
Family Law courts
The two Courts that handle most relationship disputes are:
The Family Law Act 1975
The most important legislation that governs relationship law in Australia is the Family Law Act 1975 (C’th).
Amongst other things the Family Law Act covers:
- married and de facto relationships
- same sex relationships
- parenting arrangements
- property settlements between ex partners
What’s involved in sorting out Family Law cases?
Resolving legal issues in relationship law, Family Law, can involve:
- Court proceedings
- Binding Financial Agreements
- Parenting Plans
- Consent Orders
Whatever your family law situation at Bell Legal Group we provide legal services tailored to your needs. Let us handle the legal side of things whilst you concentrate on dealing with the changes in your life.
Call us today on 07 5597 3366 or complete the Contact Us form below to find out how we can help you.