(07) 5597 3366

Study In Australia

Student Visa Lawyer Gold Coast

If you wish to study full time in Australia, care for an international student in Australia, take part in workplace training opportunities or stay in Australia after you graduate from University, then the following student visas are to be considered:


Student visa Subclass 500

You must:

  • be at least 6 years of age
  • have been accepted to study full time at an eligible Australian educational institution
  • have health insurance
  • have sufficient finances to cover travel to Australia and 12 months’ living costs, course fees
  • have appropriate welfare arrangements if you under 18 years of age

The educational institution must be registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and courses for Overseas Students (‘CRICOS’) – most educational institution’s websites will indicate if they are CRICOS registered.

This visa is a temporary visa allowing you to study in Australia for the duration of your course, up to 5 years. You may be able to bring eligible family members with you to Australia.


Student Guardian visa subclass 590

This visa allows you to stay in Australia as an international student’s guardian where the student is under 18 years of age, studying on a student visa.

You must be:

  • the parent, legal guardian or relative of the student
  • have enough money to support yourself and the student during your stay
  • be able to provide accommodation and other support
  • be at least 21 years of age.

This visa:

  • does not generally allow you to work, so it is vital to have sufficient funding available to support you and the student
  • will allow you to care for more than one student
  • permits you to stay in Australia for the same length of time as the student, or until the student turns 18 years of age


Training Visa subclass 407

This visa is for persons who wish to take part in workplace training to enhance existing occupational skills or field of expertise, or to participate in professional development training in Australia.

You must:

  • be nominated by a sponsoring organisation, or invited to apply for the visa by the Commonwealth Government
  • be at least 18 years old
  • have functional English language
  • have health insurance
  • have adequate financial support


Temporary Graduate Visa subclass 485

If you have finished your studies as an international student in Australia and wish to stay to work temporarily, then you may be eligible for this visa. It has two streams:

  1. Graduate Work stream – intended for students who have recently graduated with skills and qualifications that closely relate to an occupation identified as being in demand in Australia
  2. Post-Study Work stream – intended for students who have recently graduated with an eligible degree level qualification (not diploma or trade qualification), regardless of the field of study

To be eligible for either stream you must:

  • be under 50 years of age
  • hold an eligible visa
  • have recently qualified from a CRICOS registered course within the last 6 months
  • meet the English language requirement
  • have health insurance

For the Graduate Work stream, you must also:

  • nominate an occupation on the relevant occupation list
  • have a skills assessment for the nominated occupation
  • have a degree, diploma or trade qualification to meet the Australian study
  • requirement which is closely related to the nominated skilled occupation

A visa in this stream is valid for 18 months.

For the Post-Study Work stream, you must also:

  • hold an eligible degree level qualification, such as a Bachelor degree, Masters degree or Doctoral degree from an eligible Australian university
  • have applied for and were granted your first student visa to Australia on or after 5 November 2011.

A visa in this stream can be granted for up to four years, dependent on the applicant’s level of qualification:

  • two years for a Bachelor’s degree or Masters degree
  • three years for a Masters by Research degree
  • four years for a Doctoral degree.



Professional help with your student visa

Bell Legal Group’s dedicated Migration Team can help you with your student visa needs. Call us on +61 7 5597 3366 or fill out the ‘Contact Us’ form at the bottom of the page.





Please note that the information on this website is general in nature only. It is not legal advice nor should it be relied upon as such. Always obtain legal advice tailored to your situation.