Visas to bring families together
To bring families together, the family visa stream offers a number of visas for Australian citizens, permanent residents and New Zealand residents to sponsor close family members for temporary or permanent residence in Australia.
Available family visas
The visas available are:
- For married couples or people in de facto relationships, the Australian partner can sponsor his or her partner for migration to Australia. You must be in a committed relationship.
- You may be eligible for a parent visa if at least half of your children live permanently in Australia. Also, “aged parents” may be sponsored by their Australian children. These are permanent visas.
Parents Visitor visa
- This is a longer stay Visitor visa for parents of Australian citizens or permanent residents.
- If you have applied for a Parent visa then you can apply for this Visitor visa which has a five year validity period.
- If you have not applied for a Parent visa, then you can still apply for this visa for a period of 18 months to three years, dependant on your travel history to Australia.
- This visa allows up to 12 months’ stay for each visit.
Remaining Relative visa
- This visa requires that you have all of your close relatives living permanently in Australia. One of those relatives will need to sponsor you.
Aged Dependant Relative visa
- Relatives who are over 65 and who have been financially supported for the last two years by an Australian citizen or permanent resident relative can be sponsored by that relative for permanent residency.
Professional migration services
Our experienced team of migration lawyers can assist you and your family with your migration plans to Australia. If you are unsure of the best visa for your circumstances, we offer a consultation to discuss your options and find the right pathway.
Please contact us on 07 5597 3366 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange an appointment.